1 L watermelon juice (fresh)/ 1 medium size watermelon
80 g corn starch
90 g granulated sugar
2 sticks of cinnamon
pistachio to taste, crushed (for serving)
dark chocolate to taste, grated (for serving)
edible flower, preferably jasmine, whole (for serving)
Yields: About 12, 3″ cupcake molds
- Cut watermelon in half, remove skin and blend in a food processor. Extract pulp and strain to filter juice. Collect exactly 1 liter of juice.
- In a bowl gently whisk the corn starch with a cup of the juice to prevent clots when cooking and set aside.
- In a medium size pot mix together remaining juice, sugar and cinnamon adding slowly the corn starch & watermelon juice mix while constantly mixing with a wooden spoon.
- When the pot begins to boil the mixture will thicken, become a bit translucent and it will create a film over the wooden spoon. At this point stop stirring and pour into desired molds.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours, pop out of molds and serve with crushed pistachios, grated dark chocolate and jasmine flowers.
During our stay in Miami DJ Tennis shared with us one of his all time favorite recipes: the Watermelon Jelly or as he would call it: Gelo di Melone. This traditional Sicilian dessert is perfect for a warm summer day or any day, for that matter, in sexy Miami. Although the word jelly is in the title it does not contain any gelatin. This gluten free dessert is also vegan featuring corn starch as the prime ingredient that yields a bouncy/pudding like texture.
I highly recommend you try it, it’s not only one of the most delicious thing I’ve ever tasted, but it’s also so fun and easy to make.
Adapted from: Giallo Zafferano