400 grams chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
1/4 small onion, thinly sliced
1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and cubed
1 TBSP mayonnaise
1/4 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper to taste
Yields: 6 arepas
2 cups of pre-cooked cornmeal, brand Harina P.A.N.
2 cups of water (lukewarm)
2 TBSP vegetable oil
1/4 tsp salt
Yields: 4-6 arepas and approximately 2 cups of filling
1. Poach the chicken breasts, once cooked, cool them then brown on the stove. When finished pull the chicken apart.
2. In a bowl mix mayonnaise, mustard, avocado, chicken and onion. Add salt, pepper and then refrigerate.
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Mix flour with water, salt and 1 TBSP oil and knead the dough until a clump free and homogenous dough forms.
3. Divide the dough into 6 equal parts and form round patties.
4. With remaining oil grease a griddle and cook patties on high on each side until a crust forms.
5. Transfer to oven and bake for 10 minutes, then flip over and cook in oven for another 10 minutes or until the arepas have risen a bit.
6. Stuff each arepa with your chicken salad filling.