2 ½ cups of pitted dates, soaked in warm water
1 TBSP vanilla extract
2 tsp + 1 ½ TBSP of raw honey
¼ tsp + ¼ tsp of fine sea salt
1/2 cup + 5 TBSP of raw coconut oil
4 TBSP cashew butter
1 cup raw buckwheat groats, not toasted
1/2 cup raw buckwheat flour, blended from groats
1 cup walnuts, crushed (rice crispy feel)
1 cup pecans, crushed (rice crispy feel)
2 TBSP almond butter
3 TBSP water
¾ cup raw cacao powder
Yields: 15-20 bars
Before you begin:
- Line a 9″ x 13″ baking tray with parchment paper, make sure the tray fits leveled in your freezer. Set aside.
- Place pitted dates in a bowl of warm water to soften.
- In a medium size bowl mix: Buckwheat groats, buckwheat flour, crushed walnuts and crushed pecans.
- In a double boiler, on very low heat, gently whisk together: 2 tsp of honey, 1/2 cup of coconut oil, and 4 TBSP of cashew butter. Turn off heat and mix in 1/4 tsp of salt and 1 TBSP of vanilla extract.
- Combine this sweet-sticky mixture with the crunchy-dry ingredients.
- Spread mixture onto tray with parchment paper with a rubber spatula. Place in freezer for 30 minutes to set.
- In a food processor blend soaked dates, almond butter, water and a 1/4 tsp of salt until smooth.
- Remove tray from freezer, and with a spatula or wet spoon (or the caramel will stick), spread caramel on the crunch layer.
- Return tray to the freezer for another 15 minutes.
Chocolate Layer: (wait 10 minutes before prepping)
- On a double boiler, over very low heat, mix: 1 1/2 TBSP of honey, 5 TBSP coconut oil and then slowly add in 3/4 cup of raw cacao powder.
- Remove tray from freezer and evenly pour chocolate over the caramel layer.
- Return to the freezer for at least 45 minutes before serving.
- Remove from freezer, cut into squares and store in a container separated by wax paper. Keep in freezer.
Adapted from: Oh She Glows